We are now accepting applications for our 2019 Board of Directors. Alice’s Board is a diverse group of passionate activists – and we’re looking for more to join us! Read the volunteer job description below and to apply, please filling out this application form before Sunday, November 25, 2018.
VOLUNTEER JOB DESCRIPTION
Alice B. Toklas LGBT Democratic Club
Volunteer, 1-year term, based in San Francisco
The Alice B. Toklas LGBT Democratic Club is seeking interested candidates to join its 2019 Board of Directors. As the oldest LGBT Democratic club in the nation and a leading voice in San Francisco politics, Alice plays a unique role in helping to shape future political leaders and advocate for meaningful change in city, state, and federal politics.
As an all-volunteer club, each Alice Board Member takes on a role that fulfills a specific organizational need, including but not limited to fundraising, political advocacy, communications, policy development, running the endorsements process, grassroots organizing, and managing the Club membership. Alice is a big-tent Democratic club that welcomes members from a range of political perspectives. The Board encourages consensus, but enforces civility and respectful disagreement.
The ideal candidate is someone who identifies as LGBTQ, and who has a deep interest and/or has been involved in politics, policy, government, or community organizing. Alice’s Board is a diverse group of passionate activists, and it strives to ensure its members continue to reflect the LGBT community as a whole. Members of traditionally marginalized and underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply, including but not limited to people of color, female-identifying individuals, transgender individuals, immigrants, and people with disabilities.
Board Members are expected to:
- understand Alice’s mission, bylaws, policies, and endorsements
- attend monthly Board meetings and, whenever possible, General Membership meetings
- attend meetings to endorse candidates for public office
- vote on matters of the Board, Club, and endorsements at PAC meetings
- serve on a committee and participate fully in its activities
- be a fiduciary of the Club, understand financial statements, and hold Club leadership accountable
- attend fundraising events, including Alice’s annual Pride Breakfast
- fundraise on behalf of the Club or meet a set minimum donation
- participate in a minimum of 2-3 field activities on behalf of endorsed candidates during election cycles
- maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of the organization
To meet minimum requirements for the role, candidates must:
- be registered to vote as a Democrat (or if unable to vote, attest to personally affiliating with the goals of the Democratic Party)
- be or become an Alice member in good standing
To apply, please filling out this application form before Sunday, November 25, 2018. Applicants are strongly encouraged to become a member in good standing, and attend and meet Club Co-Chairs at at least one meeting or event prior to the deadline.